Sunday, June 7, 2009

BIG Thank you to Wendi for her column

Wendi Thomas, who has created her own website at Eat Gun Free in TN (and is working with us on this project), talks about how to fight guns in restaurants and bars here.

Here's a taste:

The other side will argue that folks without permits are probably packing at restaurants right now -- and I need law-abiding, pistol-packing vigilantes to protect me.

But in 37 years of dining out, I have not been shot. Nor have I had to gaze at a firearm while I eat. And I like it that way.

5 comments:

  1. Yet another case of someone not reading the law before commenting on it...

    Concealed carry means you would be no more likely to "gaze at a firearm" while eating than before. And being inside a restaurant (or in a hospital, or on a college campus, or in a state park...) makes a lawful gun owner no more likely to shoot someone than they would be if they were walking down the street.

    In fact, I think you're more likely to accidentally bite your tongue while dining than you are to actually see a firearm while you're out, regardless of your location.

    Guns are not magical things that turn any holder into a bloodthirsty madman (or mad-woman). They're simply tools, and very effective ones, for self-defense. Any place that puts the value of my life lower than that of their most popular entree is not a place in which I will be doing any business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great argument. For, say, a six year old child with poor mastery of English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Care to elaborate, SayUncle, or do you prefer to cast stones from a distance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. SayUncle, you sure showed him. When you can't win the argument resort to name calling, very sad. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not SayUncle and cannot speak for him, but not only do I second his sentiments, I took apart Wendi's article in detail. Does that make you folks feel a little better?

    ReplyDelete